Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Embarrassed but Unstuck


For the last year-and-a-bit, I've been working, with others, on a mod for Baldur's Gate SOA/TOB.

Learning to code has been every bit as hard as I thought it would be, though it has also proved possible & I find it fascinating, which I had not expected to do.

Except... for the last few weeks I've been stuck on two pieces of code. They just would not work and I could not figure out why they would not work. It was all very frustrating.

And, ultimately, embarrassing, because both pieces turned out to be stalled to to good old human error--my error. Once the mistake in the most recent bit was pointed out to me, it was even obvious human error.

I don't know if I ever would have caught it myself, though, so I am still extremely grateful to the people who took the time to look at the code and point it out to me. I know I haven't mentioned it here, this blog being so new-and-all, but there are some really amazing, patient people in the modding community.

Along the way, they explained a number of other things, which will probably help me avoid errors in the future (Not all errors, that would be too much to ask).

The other error was similarly basic, but at least that one I caught myself--eventually.

So, now I'm embarrassed, but unstuck, and about 2/3 of the way through (I think).

No comments:

Post a Comment