Thursday, September 26, 2013

Book Review: Cinderella vol. 2 Fables are Forever by Chris Roberson (Author) and Shawn McManus (Illustrator)

Oh dear.

As I may have mentioned once or twice, I absolutely love the main Fables series, so of course I'm running out to pick up all the other books around it. Fables are Forever is something of a disappointment, even though it works with spy-Cinderella, whom I love, and has fun with genres and characters, which I also love.

Cinderella has to face off with "the Silver Slipper," an assassin foe from her past. Having this super-assassin turn out to be Dorothy Gale was clever, but other than that, there's really not much substance to the book. Dorothy and Cinderella try to kill each other several times over the years and in many different countries. There's no character development for either, and thus no real reason to like or dislike Cinderella any more than I already did. Dorothy is so one-dimensional that her evilness is more a matter of form than anything else.

There's some shallow discussion of the difference between a mercenary and a patriot, and who is more justified in which despicable actions, but it doesn't really go anywhere. It's not a case of either woman developing doubts, or of letting the reader explore the issue, it's just what a pair of spies chat about while they fight.

The art was...eh. I mean, it's not entirely out of character for Cindy to traipse around in the snow in a bikini, but surely even Fables get cold? Shouldn't she be blue and shivering, not svelte and appealing?

So, overall, this was a disappointment. I mean, it's not that it's especially ghastly, it just has a really, really high bar to reach, and it settles for being decidedly average.

Other Reviews
Back to Books
Comic Book Resources
Got a review I missed? Drop me a line and I'll include it!

Links of Interest
Chris Roberson's home page.

No comments:

Post a Comment