Monday, June 30, 2014

Book Review:Uncanny Avengers Vol. 1: The Red Shadow

Sometimes, I expect to enjoy a book, and then I just don't. Uncanny Avengers: The Red Shadow is one of those times. In an attempt to change the world's view of mutants, Captain America has put together a new team of Avengers, one that mixes mutants and "regular" Avengers. Their first foe in this issue is the Red Skull who has grafted Xavier's brain onto his own and is using his new ability to whip up anti-mutant frenzy and rioting as—I guess—a step toward taking over. Essentially, the new team is faced with their worst nightmare: Captain America's long-time foe, Xavier gone bad (again), and anti-mutant rioting. Rick Remender has written some really good stuff in the past(1), and the Uncanny Avengers holds the potential to take the X-folk off into some new territory, so I was ready to enjoy the book.

Sadly, I spent most of it wishing everyone would just shut up. Alex Summers makes a speech. Rogue and the Scarlet Witch snipe at each other. The Red Skull talks. And talks. And talks. He now has the power to influence people's minds directly, and while he does that, he apparently cannot resist making endless speeches. I ended up skimming a lot of his verbiage which left the rest of the book rather slim pickings: oodles of fight scenes as waves of rioters turn on the Avengers, the X-Men, and each other.

I was disappointed with the main plot as a whole: The team mixup also provides an opportunity to do something new with the X-Men. Instead, they're still facing the same old "World-that-hates-and-fears-them."

So, no go here. X-Men enthusiasts might want to read the first bit where Alex makes his infamous "Don't call me a mutant" speech. Otherwise, read X-Men: Battle of the Atom instead.

(1)The not too distant past: I cannot begin to say how much I loved Black Science, though I do try over onFanboyNation. Seriously, that book is incredible.

Publication Information
Hardcover, 136 pages
Published April 24th 2013 by Marvel
ISBN 0785168443 (ISBN13: 9780785168447)
Uncanny Avengers (Marvel NOW!) Vol. 1: 1-5

No comments:

Post a Comment