Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Book Review: Welcome to The Jungle by Jim Butcher

Welcome to the Jungle is the first graphic novel in the Dresden Files series, and also a stand-alone book.

Harry Dresden, Chicago's professional wizard, has to figure out who or what killed a zoo guard. The police would like to say it was the gorilla; certainly, there are clues pointing on that direction. On the other hand, there are also clues pointing in other, nastier, more occult directions, and if Dresden doesn't figure them out, Bad Things will happen. He has to work against time, police prejudice (most of the police would rather not believe in magic, thanks just the same), and the hostile zoo staff (who don't want to believe in out of control gorillas). That, and he has to fight the monster, protect the beautiful woman, and save the day.

I liked this a lot better than the one Dresden Files novel I read--enough so that I may give the series another try.

Then again, maybe it was the flaring trench coat? The illustrations did a marvelous job of creating the creepy, noir atmosphere. I'm definitely going to look for more of Ardian Syaf's wok, if nothing else.

Anyway, it was a good introduction to the world, a nice, suspenseful mystery, some derring-do, and general fun. There's a good look at how the magic works, a strong introduction to a character who may amount to more than the "stoic archetype" I had first dismissed him to (My apologies to any Dresden fans, but I did not get along with the first novel).

I may have to give the novels another try. Or maybe I'll just go straight to the graphic versions? Anyone got any suggestions there?


Who's Who
Author: Jim Butcher
Illustrator: Ardian Syaf
Publisher Del Rey
Publication date: 2008.
ISBN: 9780345507464

Links of Interest
Welcome to the Jungle on Amazon.
Reviews found by Fyrefly's Book Blog Search

In case anyone's wondering, this is #4 in "Books that Deserve Longer Reviews." I'm trying to catch up with myself!

2 comments:

  1. I think if you've enjoyed the graphic novel more, you should certainly continue with the rest of the series in the same format! It's only been in the past few years that I've started reading more graphic novels myself, and I quite enjoy the visuals.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I could go back and read the novels later if I wanted, tis true.

      I always feel kind of bad when I review graphic works; I'm short-changing the artists. The images are vital to the story & carry a lot of the weight, but I don't have the training or background to really describe what's going on! "It looks nice" seems entirely inadequate.

      Delete