Thursday, October 13, 2011

Common Green Darner in Huntington Beach Central Park

The park was busy again, full of darting, busy dragonflies.

I still have a lot to learn about tracking dragonfly flight; I miss more pictures than I take, but that is the best part about using a digital camera: It is possible to keep trying, and eventually, perhaps I shall figure the pattern out.

In the meantime, I do enjoy their beauty, and it is fun waking up to realize that there are many, many more kinds and colors of dragonflies than every I had realized before. And, yes, in case you were wondering: The blog's other title could be "Learning to See." I'm trying to watch the natural world around me, right here in the city, more carefully. I keep noticing new things and then wondering why I had never seen them before. I have a feeling I'll be working on this for a long, long time.



The dragonflies looked a bit different than the ones I'd photographed earlier, and on photographic second look, proved to be different. Thanks to the handy help of bugguide, this one has been identified as a Anax juniu or a Common Green Darner.

There do not seem to be such things as "Uncommon Green Darters" or "Moderately rare green darners. Who comes up with these names, anyway?


No comments:

Post a Comment