Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Nasturtium: The Vanilla Berry's First Bloom


The Vanilla Berry nasturtiums I wrote about earlier bloomed! At least, one did. It's a very pretty flower, sort of a pale yellow with cheerful orange streaks on the inside, sort of a clownish bloom. I'm glad I have it, and I'm looking forward to more of them blooming and, eventually, sprawling throughout the garden.
I would not, however, describe it as "buttercream" with a "delicate etching of deep strawberry" (as per the seed packet). Now I'm even more curious about the "deep maroon" and "soft cream" single blooms the "Night and Day" mix purports to have. I think it will be a few weeks, though. I only just transplanted the seedlings, after all. Incidentally, I just started reading The Tea Lover's Treasury, and the introduction mentions "nasturtium leaf sandwiches." Anyone ever heard of those?

No comments:

Post a Comment