Friday, April 23, 2010

Enchanted Glass by Diana Wynne Jones

Diana Wynne Jones has been a favorite author of mine for some time, and I've been looking forward to Enchanted Glass for a while, so I was delighted when it came in at the library and started reading it almost at once. It was delightful.

It's a beautiful, balanced book that somehow manages to have a thirty year old and a twelve year old as co-protagonists and makes it work. The characters are both eccentric and practical.

Ok, interruption here; I'm giving a description when what I really want to say is less concrete. The book shimmers. It's like the stained-glass windows in the story, full of color, light, and subtle tricks of shape and shade.

I want to read it again.

2 comments:

  1. Now I want to go back and read it again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahem. As August and my birthday approach (in a few months, I know), you can recall that I have almost no library access. Joy is coming here in July. Just a *hint*.

    ReplyDelete