Saturday, April 3, 2010

Easter Egg Dye

I love dying Easter eggs. I don't do anything fancy to them; I just drop them into the dye and watch with delight as the hues get more and more intense. The brighter the egg, the more unnaturally it fluoresces, the happier I am.

This year, though, I tried something new--tie dye eggs.

The dye is a much thicker, more intense, more permanent gel that one drops onto the egg with somewhat flimsy eye-droppers and then rubs it in using a specially provided plastic bag.

It's kind of fun, though I have a theory that the people who made the kit and the people who wrote the instructions never actually spoke to one another (there are three separate sets of instructions on what to do with the dye, and they're all different, there are two different drying trays, for one), and I got the best results from dropping the dye into the plastic bag rather than the egg.

But--I only had eight eggs to experiment with (I love to dye cold boiled eggs; I don't love eating them), and one of them cracked, so I have a lot of bright gel dye left and a vague feeling that there ought to be some creative use for it. It doesn't spread out well on construction paper, copier paper, or paper towels, so tie-dye paper is not an option. It's also not terribly storable--intense, indelible dye in a flimsy, uncovered plastic tray is a disaster waiting to happen.

So I thought I'd blog and ask--what do you do with leftover Easter Egg dye?

And in the meantime, I'll go make some (undyed) cinnamon rolls.

1 comment:

  1. I have a 3-year old that attempts to consume the dye, vinegar and all -- but I don't recommend that.

    ReplyDelete