Wednesday, January 28, 2009

A Few of My Favorite Things


The current batch of pictures up in my ArtID gallery were all taken in the Huntington Beach Central Park, one of my favorite places.

For one thing, one of the two best libraries in the world (in my own humble opinion, and based on an admittedly limited selection) is there. Libraries are always nice--after all, they have BOOKS in them, lots and lots of lovely free books--but this one adds plenty of plants, fountains, large windows, and a downstairs coffee shop to the list of admirable qualities.

The other reason is the park itself. It is large, big enough that it takes a long time to walk around even the one half, the half with the library in it. It is peaceful, too, and extremely well landscaped. There's plenty of smooth, green grass for picnicking, but there are also wilder areas, areas where the trees have been allowed to twist together and where the undergrowth hides rabbits and squirrels. Birds claim twigs and trees for their territory, squirrels dig in the gardens, and lizards sun themselves on the rocks.

Every time I go there, I find new peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment