Monday, March 3, 2008

Psycho-Dog

I'm a bit sleepy today. Our sweet, mild-mannered, almost-thirteen year old dog turned into PsychoDog last night and kept me awake for a while.

I don't know what got into her. I got up briefly at 2AM & was greeted with the full "Haven't seen you in years, when are you going to feed me?" routine. This from a dog who, these days, is usually completely zonked out at night.

I opened the door, and she bounded out, looking back at me eagerly.

Then, come 3:30 AM, she came bounding into my room, waking me up, and she knows perfectly well she's not allowed in there and has only come in twice before--once when she was sick and needed to go out, and once when there were fireworks going off and she needed someone to hold her paw.

I don't know what got into her. I felt like the owners in Lassie who are always asking "What is it, girl? What is it?"

Only, I don't think anyone had fallen into the well.

She just wanted to play.

At three-thirty in the morning.

I wasn't really all that enthusiastic about the idea, myself, and went back to bed, though the sound of doggie feet ticky-tacking across the floor did keep me awake for a while. When I woke up again, at a more reasonable hour, she was sound asleep.

I suppose it might have been the wind--the friends who gave her to us years ago said that she was scared of wind. But a) She has never done this before and b) she wasn't acting scared. She was acting like she wanted to play tug of war.

Edit: Just read in a friend's blog that her cat went crazy last night. Odd.

It could be the Santa Ana-type weather, but... it's not the first time our dog's been through these winds, and it is the first time she's thought the wee small hours of the morning was a good time to play. Anyone got any reasonable sort of theory?

No comments:

Post a Comment