Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Link List: The Life Cycle of a library book, the promise of singing dragons, and more!


1) Here's a beautiful little essay by "a librarian" about "The Life of a Library Book" describing the cycle a book takes from the moment of purchase to the final visit to the repair shop and out to the library bookstore.

As a frequenter of both libraries and library book stores, I had to say "awwww."

2) Books on Bikes: A librarian pedals his books to the farmer's market in Seattle.

*Pauses in admiration

He hauls a trailer full of books so people can check out library books while they do their grocery shopping. He also carries an iPad linked to the library system so they can get their library cards.

3) And here are some gorgeous photos of native bees. I've seen the metallic green bees. Now I'm going to have to start keeping my eyes open for some of the others. Ever noticed how you don't see some things until you know to look for them?

Sometimes the week's links skew toward arts and entertainment, of the geeky sort.

1) Check out this article on Collider.com on Bret McKenzie's newest project, a comedy that Involves “Singing Dragons and Monsters".

Do I have to tell you why singing dragons are awesome?

I doubt it! Oh, and there's more:

McKenzie revealed that he’s currently writing a film of his own that he describes as “a fairy tale comedy musical.” The Muppets co-writer and director James Bobin is helping McKenzie develop the property, which will involve singing dragons and monsters and draws on elements from both The Muppets and The Princess Bride.
....
I want to make a comedy musical with singing dragons and monsters and stuff. [It’s] live-action, so it would be a mixture of The Muppets and The Princess Bride.”

That's the Muppets, Labyrinth, and Princess Bride that just got name-dropped. I don't know about you, but I'm excited!

There's also a video interview with him in the main article.

2)Curious about cover development? Here, Dave Elliott talks about cover design for the upcoming A1 Annual and reveals how the coffee got there.

I always enjoy this kind of behind-the scenes discussion. Books-as-objects are interesting in their own right, and this adds a bit about making the cover work digitally (as a non-object??) as well as on the bound book.

3) And in case you've missed it, the trailer for Thor: Dark World came out. I am not quite in the breathless excitement phase of looking forward to this; I liked Thor, but in a "Yes, that was fun" way rather than in a "I must see more at once!" fashion. On the other hand, I loved The Avengers with a great and astonishing "must see again!" love, and now that the "origin story" (of sorts) is out of the way, Marvel can go roaring ahead to tell a grand space opera. Oh, and it has Loki in it. No one does the "crazed villain" grin like Tom Hiddleston!



4) And we got maybe two seconds worth of new material in the latest Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. trailer, spotlighting Skye. This did not stop me from watching it several times. I am in breathless excitement mode for this show. As I may have mentioned, I loved The Avengers, Agent Coulson is awesome, and I like team shows (even if the S.H.I.E.L.D. folks are "not exactly a team").



Did I miss something awesome? Let me know in the comments or by using the "Contact Me" button up top!

Til next week!


No comments:

Post a Comment