Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Link List: Tigers in the Snow, Creatures in the Sea, Dung Beetles by Starlight, and Other Unexpected Wonders

1) Tigers playing with Snowmen. I don't think I need to say anything else, do I?

2) I wasn't sure the whale sharks really needed models next to them to make these photos worthwhile, but the article does explain it: Kristian Schmidt and Shawn Heinrichs were trying to get people who don't normally admire seaside creatures to stop and look. This...sort of helps, though I remain dubious. The whales, though, are gorgeous and they've done some amazing things with the lighting.

3) These pictures, by Arctic biologist Alexander Semenov are spectacular, with no caveats. They're definitely for those of us who already stop to look at sea creatures--or at least, photos thereof. I do wish it were possible to look at them at a slightly smaller size--a couple went clear off my screen--but that's a small price to pay for such unexpected beauty.

4) Speaking of photos here are some National Geographic photos.. Stunning. I'm trying to choose between lightning in Dubai and a Moss-Covered Trunk in Michigan, but they're all gorgeous. Wallpapers -- Visions of Earth -- National Geographic

5) Dung beetles navigate by starlight? Really? And I want to frame that photo.

6)What's a microbe to do when it storms?. Go up into the clouds, evidently.

7) I read Mary Mycio's Wormwood Forest: A Natural History of Chernobyl some time ago--probably about the time it came out--and was just remembering it the other day & wondering how the unexpected wildlife sanctuary is doing. Today, I found her followup article here, on Slate, complete with a gallery of photographs by Sergey Gaschak. The answer is: Surprisingly well, actually. Individual animals may be dying or mutating, but the populations as a whole are strong.

No comments:

Post a Comment