Thursday, January 28, 2010

The Broken Hourglass: Writing Some More

Working on PC-NPC(1) dialogs now.

I've roughed out all the random responses & am adding some more actual discussions. I have to admit, sometimes I wish there were not nine different characters, but I can't imagine who I'd leave out, if I were to leave any out. I like them all; I liked them before I started writing for them, and I think players are going to like them too. They're a good mix, so everyone's going to find at least one NPC to love and one to loathe, and it won't be the same for each player.

Two of them I'm still working on the speech patterns for; I love what the previous writers have done with them, but I have a hard time fitting into that rhythm. I'll get there though; in the end, I want there to be no sign of who wrote which dialog.

In the meantime, though, I have to get back to actually writing for the game rather than about it. Yesterday I bogged down completely and ended up taking a long walk and pruning roses instead, and thinking hard about what to say. I'm about three dialogs ahead of myself now, and I figure if I write them, I may find three more on the other side.

Now, back to getting those conversations down on paper (or computer, as the case may be).

(1) Discussions between the Player-Character (the one the player is controlling) and the Non-Player Characters (in this case, the ones who join the player on his/her quest) for those of you who aren't gamers.

4 comments:

  1. So the game isn't dead? Thank God. I haven't seen updates posted on the site for months now, and I've been wondering at the pace of development.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The game is far from dead.

    Jason's just concentrating on coding over updating the site.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh good, I was worried this had died as well. Good to hear it is still being developed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very much so.

    By the way, I'm an obsessive keyworder, so if you're interested in reading only the Broken Hourglass sections of the blog, just click the blue "Broken Hourglass" at the bottom of any post & you'll get those & only those.

    ReplyDelete