Monday, April 20, 2009

More Owls

I went again this evening to see the owls.

The babies were more active, coming out to the end of the tree limbs and thinking about flying.

The would bob their heads, carefully measuring the distance, stretch their wings, and then change their minds.

Dusk fell.

The single parent owl that I saw tonight left.


The owletss thought some more.

And finally, bravely, one glided across the path to a eucalyptus tree on the other side.

It wasn't a very thick branch, and he didn't like it much, but he wasn't quite ready to leave, either.

So he bobbed and weaved, and then settled down to a thoughtful hunch.

He was still there when I left.

A second baby made some careful passes between trees closer to the building. The third went so far as to hop from one branch to another.

They really are quite young--someone loaned me a pair of binoculars, and I could see the down still poking through the feathers.

I'll be visiting them again.


Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment