Thursday, November 27, 2008

Mulled Mead

I mentioned earlier that I tried Turkish Delight because it showed up in books I loved.

I'm not the only member of the family who tries literary food. My brother turned 21 today and decided that for his coming-of-age drink, he'd like to try mulled mead because it shows up in so many books. Mead does, at least. I'm not too sure about the "mulled" bit.

So, he and Dad picked up some Chaucer's Mead at the store a week or so ago, and this afternoon he carefully brewed it.

The results:

Dad: "It's...sweet."

Pause.

"You know what it reminds me of? Cough syrup."

Mom: "No, it's better than cough syrup."

My brother: "I like it."

Pause.

"But I think I prefer sparkling cider."

I never really developed a taste for wine or its associated beverages, so my own contribution, that it's vaguely alcoholic in flavor and kind of sweet, doesn't really count, though I include it for completeness.

So, now you know.

Beowulf and various other heroic types of the past drank something sweetish and vaguely alcoholic in flavor that was kind of like cough syrup only better.

Mmmmm.

No comments:

Post a Comment