Wednesday, October 1, 2008

LibriVox

I wrote about discovering LibriVox earlier, but I hadn't actually downloaded anything from it. Having now looked at the catalog and started listening to one of the books, I'm hooked.

The catalog is huge: 1639 items finished and more in progress. The books cover a tremendous range, everything from the Bible to Edger Rice Burroughs (of Tarzan fame), and if the one I'm listening to now is of any indication, they're quite good quality.

Also, I love the scope of the project. The folk at LibriVox want to record every single book in the public domain, and the readers are from all over. So far, Twenty-Thousand Leagues Under the Sea has at least six different readers from at least four different countries (the U.S., England (I think), Canada, and Turkey. Not everyone identifies their country when they start.) Oh, and it isn't just books in English that they are recording.

What's not to like?

No comments:

Post a Comment