Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Patterns in the Sand

For some time now, I have been interested in the patterns formed by the waves on the shore.

Sometimes they are the shapes and curves of seaweed left behind by the water, tossed and twisted into curious designs.

Sometimes it is the sand itself, smoothed into strange and beautiful patterns. A phoenix may fly one moment or a lily bloom near my feet. Fey forests grow, sending their branches up in curious twists, reaching toward dry land. Then the wave comes in again, and a firebird forms, or a mass of feathery ferns. I can walk for hours, marveling at these designs.

Actually showing other people has proven something of a challenge. I've been experimenting with the camera, though, and calling on photoshop--just enough to make the patterns stand out in the picture the way they did on the shore--and I'm working on a gallery of those "found" patterns over at ArtID. I'll be rotating work through over the next few weeks as I work.

No comments:

Post a Comment