Saturday, September 20, 2008

The Broken Hourglass / Book Arts



So, as I mentioned earlier, I am writing for The Broken Hourglass now, and still really excited about it. I'm also working on a quest that involves characters someone else came up with, which means I need to pay close attention to how they talk and act in order to stay true to the established personalities.

And that means I have to read and reread their conversations frequently. And that means printouts (since, believe it or not, I am not always near a computer). They get kind of tattered and torn as I carry them around, so I finally thought, "Well, am I taking a class on making books or am I taking a class on making books?"

And, since anything doing is worth over doing, I cut and covered some nice, stiff cardboard to be the covers and made the above books.

Of course, I also made a lot of mistakes--should've scored the covers before binding them, for example, and bound them more loosely, and glue and I still have a long way to go before being friends, but overall, I'm still quite pleased with the results, even though I don't have red ink and an inkpad with the words "top secret" or anything similarly melodramatic to mark them with.

Now, though, I need to figure out how to unravel the bit I'm working on. The player has to speak to at least four different people, but might end up doing so in any order. It's complicating the conversations.

So, time to get back to work.


No comments:

Post a Comment