Friday, August 15, 2008

If You Give a Mouse a Cookie Laura Joffe Numeroff

The CD1 is on, making me remember reading this to kids (and once or twice to myself, just because). It regularly makes the "Read it again!" list.

Who knew that a simple act of kindness could result in so much fun and chaos?

"If you give a mouse a cookie" he'll want milk, and if you give him milk, he'll want a straw, and before you know it, he's cleaning up the entire house, making an enormous mess while he's at it.

Felicia Bond's illustrations are perfect showing a cheerful, hyperactive mouse on the rampage. They're done in an almost childlike style, simple, clean, and highly expressive.

I also love If You Take a Mouse to School, same mouse, same chaos.

If You Give a Pig a Pancake and If You Give a Moose a Muffin are also good, but the mouse is the best of the lot: the contrast between the size of the mouse and the size of the mess is part of the fun. Looking online, I see I'm well behind on Numeroff books; something else to look for next time I visit the library.

---
1One sister's birthday gift to another, along with some of Numeroff's books. I do not like the CD. The woman is waaay to cutsy-voiced; the man has what my sisters are currently calling a "1-900 voice", and the songs are, so far, not really worth noticing. Not outright offensive, just "why bother?"

No comments:

Post a Comment