Saturday, June 14, 2008

Sparkling Toothbrushes

Several years ago, I was standing in line with my then very young brother. I was hot, tired, and cross. He was four years old and wanted everything in the store.

He especially wanted the lollipops right next to the checkout line, and I remember snapping at him that, no, I was not going to buy him any candy, not even if it did light up and play a tune.

At which point, the man in line behind us got quite excited, grabbing one of the lollipops and looking at it carefully. He was, he explained, an inventor and thought this was one of the neatest ideas ever.

I would like to say that I immediately felt much happier, bought my brother the lighted candy, and walked out into the day singing.

Truth is, I stayed crabby--mostly. But I remembered, and it did remind me how much the small, silly things in life matter.

And what does that have to do with toothbrushes?

Well, I needed a new one, and I needed a smaller one. So I got to looking at the kids' toothbrushes, and I found one that lights up and flashes.

It was that or Batman--a tough choice, but in the end, I got the one that lights up and sparkles, because the small things matter.

And, besides, it's fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment