Monday, June 9, 2008

Orphans Preferred

I finished Orphans Preferred, and I recommend it. It is lively, interesting, and informative, something very few books manage.

And I learned quite a bit about the Pony Express, about which I must confess, I knew almost nothing before. I did not, for example, know it was a private venture that lasted only eighteen months, and I certainly did not know about the camels.

Have I mentioned lately how much I love libraries? Orphans Preferred is one of many fascinating books I would not have read without them. I first saw it at a bookstore a couple of years ago and tagged it on one of my library accounts. It wasn't until recently that I got around to putting it on hold, and I would never have bought a hardback by an unfamiliar author.*

*Actually, I rarely buy hardbacks and generally buy books at used bookstores (another favorite place), but that is another story.

No comments:

Post a Comment